History of the Village of Cobb
In 1847, John Meeker and E.R. Pritchett purchased 880 acres of rich rolling prairie from the government at $3.00 per acre. Daniel Zimmer, a resident of Highland, acquired the eastern half of this section. After several decades, this acreage was dotted by a small colony known at present as the Village of Cobb.
This area was represented by various names before the final decision was made permanent. The first name to be given to the area was "Cross Plains", which was also the name of a local inn where weary travelers who traveled the stage road could stop for food and shelter. The inn did a thriving business as it was the only inn for miles around.
After a period of time, the area was renamed "Danville", after Daniel Zimmer, one of the original possessor's of the site.
Because of the area's natural agricultural resources, it was acclaimed the garden spot of Iowa County and was next designated "Village of Eden".
General Amoss Cobb, lawyer by profession and District Attorney of Iowa County, eventually becoming state senator, made frequent visits to the village professionally and otherwise. By his dynamic personality, he captivated the esteem and respect of the citizens and in compliment to him the authorities renamed the village "Cobb".
A post office was established in 1850.
Dr. Andrews, one of the first practioners, ministered to the welfare and physical needs of the people of the territory.
One of the first establishments was the Old Cross Plains house. In connection with the old tavern, there was a race track, the sport of the age. The track was straight and as level as a house floor. Here the miners and sporting characters from miles around came on Sundays and holidays. Horse racing was the chief amusement, but target shooting and foot-racing were not uncommon, and an occasional fist fight may also have been introduced in vindication of various political opinions and otherwise or to test the validity of someone's claim to being the best man in seventeen counties.
The railroad came thru in 1880. A depot was built in 1881.
In 1850, Parson Williams was instrumental in erecting the Episcopal Church, which was the first religious building in the town and this part of the county.
The Methodists started to build a church in 1876. Building a church was not easy then, as the lumber had to be hauled from Avoca, 20 miles away by a team of horses. This was a day and night journey.
The present, brick church was erected in 1972.
The Lutheran Church was built in 1890. In 1937, a new, brick church was built. It was remodeled and made larger in 1964-1965.
School was held in the village hall and the first classes were held in 1868. A new two-story school was erected in 1882. this housed the elementary grades and the high school, one of the first in the area. The school was located in the present village park. The building burned in 1937. The now vacant, brick school was built in 1938. This building housed all elementary grades as well as high school.
In 1958, 24 school districts joined to organize the Iowa-Grant school district. This district was made up of five high schools, five grade schools, and 17 rural schools. In August 1960, the doors of Iowa-Grant high school opened. The school buildings in Cobb, Montfort, Livingston, Linden and Rewey became elementary schools. Francis Fry became the principal of the elementary school in Cobb. Gerald Butterfield became the principal of Iowa-Grant High School.
The Cobb Bank was organized in 1910.
The Cobb Canning Factory was built in 1923 and the first canning season began in 1924.
Water and sewage were installed in 1943-1944. Cobb was the first town in the county to have this.
The new water tower was erected in 1970.